The WFL Mission Statement
The mission of the Wellesley Free Library is to serve as a community gathering place, a cultural destination and a gateway to ideas for residents of all ages and interests. Through books, media, technology and innovative programs, the Wellesley Free Library provides free and convenient access to information within and beyond our walls.
SOME FACTS ABOUT THE LIBRARY
A Year in the Life of the Wellesley Free Library (Updated 8/15/2012)
There are 17,895 Wellesley residents with library cards. The Library is open 7 days a week. There are 228,206 books in the Library’s collection, 15,102 DVDs, 22,635 music CDs and audio books, 8,649 eBooks and 3,650 downloadable audio books. The Library has subscriptions to 314 magazines and 29 databases.
This is what happened at the Wellesley Free Library from July 1, 2011 through June 30, 2012:
• 424,574 people of all ages walked through the doors. Each had an individual reason for visiting the Library;
• 730,474 items were checked out;
• Of the 730,474 items checked out 500,271 are books, 137,860 are DVDs, 76,142 are music CD or audio books, 8,099 are magazines; 3,928 are eBooks, 1,334 are downloadable audio books and 2,840 are miscellaneous materials;
• 102,432 questions were answered by the Reference Staff by phone, email and through the website;
• 290,566 visits were made to the Library’ website
• 17,483 children attended 583 children’s programs;
• 751 middle school students attended 54 programs;
• 4,714 people attended 456 general interest programs and computer classes;
• 265 volunteers donated 11,626 hours to shelve books, to keep the shelves in order, teach in our ESL program and to do other important support activities;
• 67 full and part-time employees worked to serve you.