Rules of Conduct
The Wellesley Free Library believes all patrons have the right to use library services and materials safely and freely, in a comfortable and welcoming atmosphere. With this right comes responsibility for conduct that respects the staff, the rights of other library patrons, and the library’s materials, equipment, facilities and grounds.
- All patrons have the right to study, read, or work with limited interference in a reasonable environment.
- The Periodical Room and the entire second floor (with the exception of the High School Study Room) are designated quiet study and research areas – please respect this.
- Cellular phones should not disrupt other patrons. Cell phone users may be asked to move to a more appropriate location.
- For their safety, children under age 8 must be supervised by a parent or caregiver who stays with them at all times. The parent or caregiver is responsible for ensuring that their children’s behavior complies with Library Rules of Conduct.
- Food or drink is only allowed in the lobby area located at the parking lot entrance.
- Other than certified service dogs, animals are not allowed in the Library.
- Patrons are urged to be respectful of staff time to allow staff to help all patrons.
- Activities disruptive to the Library, its staff and/or its patrons are not allowed.
- Library materials must be checked out before being removed from library premises.
- Patrons shall not damage or deface Library property or materials.
- Shirts and shoes must be worn by all.
- Bicycling, skateboarding, or roller-blading on Library property is not allowed.
- Furniture should be used only as intended.
- The Library is not responsible for personal property left unattended.
- No commercial or unapproved solicitation is permitted on Library property.
- There is no smoking allowed inside the Library, including the use of e-cigarettes and marijuana.
- Possession of firearms and/or dangerous weapons of any type (except by law enforcement officers) is prohibited
- Being under the influence of illegal drugs or alcohol; selling, using, or possessing illegal drugs and/or alcohol is prohibited.
- Conduct that interferes with the normal course of library use for patrons and/or staff is prohibited.
- Conduct that violates federal, state, local law or Library policy is prohibited and may be cause for removal from the premises.