Facts About WFL
Some Facts about the library
By taking a proactive, affirmative approach to innovation, the WFL will strive to remain a community gathering place as well as a leader among public libraries.
The Main Library has 56,000 square feet on the first and second floors; plus there is 28,000 square feet in the basement, which includes parking and storage. There are 17,158 Wellesley residents with library cards. The Library is open 7 days a week. There are 204,140 books in the Library’s collection, 18,608 DVDs, 18,563 music CDs and audio books, 85,824 eBooks and 16,414 downloadable audio books. The Library subscribes to 209 magazines and 92 databases.
A Year in the Life of Wellesley Free Library
This is what happened at the Wellesley Free Library from July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019:
There are 20,241 Wellesley residents with library cards. The Library is open 7 days a week. There are 195,282 books in the Library’s collection, 19,162 DVDs, 16,717 music CDs and audio books, 60,153 eBooks and 21,071 downloadable audio books. The Library subscribes to 225 magazines and 32 locally owned databases plus 44 databases from the Massachusetts Library System.
- 398,169 people of all ages walked through the doors. Each had an individual reason for visiting the Library;
- 782,598 items were checked out or renewed;
- 562,954 of items circulated were books;
- 133,368 questions were answered by the Information Services Staff — by phone, email and through the website;
- 28,444 children and young adults attended 891 programs;
- 7,914 adults attended 659 general interest programs and computer classes;
- 125 volunteers donated 7,518 hours to shelve books, teach in our ESL program and provide other important support activities;
- 72 full and part-time employees worked to serve you.