Facts About WFL
Some Facts about the library
By taking a proactive, affirmative approach to innovation, the WFL will strive to remain a community gathering place as well as a leader among public libraries.
The Main Library has 56,000 square feet on the first and second floors; plus there is 28,000 square feet in the basement, which includes parking and storage. There are 17,158 Wellesley residents with library cards. The Library is open 7 days a week. There are 204,140 books in the Library’s collection, 18,608 DVDs, 18,563 music CDs and audio books, 85,824 eBooks and 16,414 downloadable audio books. The Library subscribes to 209 magazines and 92 databases.
A Year in the Life of Wellesley Free Library
This is what happened at the Wellesley Free Library from July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2020:
There are 20,576 Wellesley residents with library cards. The Library is open 7 days a week. There are 186,480 books in the Library’s collection, 17,550 DVDs, 15,519 music CDs and audio books, 62,856 eBooks and 25,888 downloadable audio books. The Library subscribes to 228 magazines and 37 locally owned databases plus 52 databases from the Massachusetts Library System.
- 281,593 people of all ages walked through the doors. Each had an individual reason for visiting the Library;
- 628,787 items were checked out or renewed;
- 424,317 of items circulated were books;
- 126,684 questions were answered by the Information Services Staff — by phone, email and through the website;
- 17,077 children and young adults attended 897 programs;
- 4,640 adults attended 477 general interest programs and computer classes;
- 69 volunteers donated 5,066 hours to shelve books, teach in our ESL program and provide other important support activities;
- 73 full and part-time employees worked to serve you.
* Covid-19 Pandemic played a role in the statistics. All Wellesley Libraries buildings closed on March 15, 2020 through the remainder of FY20.