Facts About WFL
By taking a proactive, affirmative approach to innovation, the WFL will strive to remain a community gathering place as well as a leader among public libraries.
A Year in the Life of Wellesley Free Library
This is what happened at the Wellesley Free Library from July 1, 2021 through June 30, 2022*:
- There are 20,184 Wellesley residents with library cards.
- The Library is open 7 days a week.
- There are 158,886 books in the Library’s collection, 17,870 DVDs, 14,375 music CDs and audio books, 76,244 eBooks and downloadable audio books.
- The Library subscribes to 116 magazines and 36 locally owned databases.
- 173,283 people of all ages walked through the doors. Each had an individual reason for visiting the Library.
- 517,471 items were checked out or renewed.
- 376,718 of items circulated were books.
- 27,237 questions were answered by Staff — by phone, email and through the website.7,510 children, teens and adults attended 550 live, and virtual programs including storytime, craft and computer classes.
- There were 335,000 hits recorded on the website.
- 77 volunteers donated 3,167 hours to teach in our ESL program and provide other important support activities.
- 70 full and part-time employees worked to serve you.
*In FY22, the Main Library, which first closed in April, continued to be closed for renovation from July 1 –November 6, 2021. The temporary location was open until September 25, 2021. From Sept 25 – Nov 5, the branches remained open to patrons.