Rules of Conduct Policy
The Wellesley Free Library believes all patrons have the right to use library services and materials safely and freely, in a comfortable and welcoming atmosphere. With this right comes responsibility for conduct that respects the staff, the rights of other library patrons, and the library’s materials, equipment, facilities and grounds. Nothing in this policy should be construed as impinging on a citizen’s right to free speech, peaceable assembly, or right to petition the Government for redress of grievances.
- All patrons have the right to study, read, or work with limited interference in a reasonable environment.
- The Periodical Room and the entire second floor (with the exception of the High School Study Room) are designated quiet study and research areas – please respect this.
- Cellular phones should not disrupt other patrons. Cell phone users may be asked by staff to move to a more appropriate location for conversation.
- For their safety, children under age 8 must be supervised by a parent or caregiver who stays with them at all times. The parent or caregiver is responsible for ensuring that their children’s behavior complies with Library Rules of Conduct.
- Food or drink is only allowed in the lobby area located at the parking lot entrance.
- Other than certified service animals, animals are not allowed in the Library.
- Patrons are urged to be respectful of staff time to allow staff to help all patrons.
- Activities disruptive to the Library, its staff and/or its patrons are not allowed.
- Library materials must be checked out before being removed from library premises.
- Patrons shall not damage or deface Library property or materials.
- Shirts and shoes must be worn by all.
- Bicycling, skateboarding, or roller-blading on Library property is not allowed.
- Furniture should be used only as intended.
- The Library is not responsible for personal property left unattended.
- No commercial or unapproved solicitation is permitted on Library property.
- There is no smoking allowed inside the Library, including the use of e-cigarettes and marijuana.
- Possession of firearms and/or dangerous weapons of any type (except by law enforcement officers) is prohibited
- Being under the influence of illegal drugs or alcohol; selling, using, or possessing illegal drugs and/or alcohol is prohibited.
- Conduct that violates federal, state, local law or mandates or Library policy is prohibited and may be cause for removal from the premises.
Approved 8/10/2020 by the WFL Board of Trustees